- Following on from the extremely successful Youth Fight For Jobs participation at the demonstration yesterday 16 YFJ activists descended on the Cardiff City Stadium for a weekday protest at Alistair Darling's visit. The Chancellor was in Cardiff to address business leaders, and YFJ decided that it was only fair if the chancellor would also speak to us!
Several of us were wearing suits, If the chancellor would be speak to business leaders in suits then he should speak to young people in suits! Naturally though Darling refused to except a delegation of young people! Obviously we are not rich enough to warrant his time.
Not put of by this and of course expecting it, we remained to picket the entrance chanting for some time the chants included some of the following
- YOUTH FIGHT - FOR JOBS
- WHEN THEY SAY CUT BACK - WE SAY FIGHT BACK
- DECENT JOBS AND DECENT PAY - THAT IS WHAT WE WANT TODAY
- DARLING DARLING STOP THE ROT - GIVE US WHAT THE BANKERS GOT
- ALISTER DARLING - HEAR US SAY - UNEMPLOYMENT - NO WAY - LOW PAY - NO WAY
- MAKE THE BOSSES - TAKE THE LOSSES
- DARLING DARLING DARLING - OUT OUT OUT
- DECENT JOBS AND NO TO WAR - THAT IS WHAT WE'RE FIGHTING FOR
- WHEN THEY SAY PRIVATISE - WE FIGHT BACK AN ORGANISE
- WHEN THEY SAY FEES WILL RISE - WE FIGHT BACK AND ORGANISE
- FIGHT THE POWER - CHANGE THE SYSTEM - WHAT WE NEED IS - SOCIALISM
As well as the militant chanting 2 of us were interviewed by the BBC first was Lana
- She explained that there is nearly 1 million unemployed young people now, but the governent are not investing in decent jobs for young people. Instead they choose to finance the bonuses for bankers. She went on to explain that many young people are put off university but the fear of debt and the government respond by attacking educationand threatening to raise fees, we need decent quality free education. Lana finished by explaining this government is creating a lost generation and that we would not except it
- I was interviewed next I started by explaining that as an unemployed youth I could expect to face a decade on the dole while Darling addresses business leaders and bails out banks he won't even come and speak to us! The government have clearly shown they don't care about ordinary people and expect us to pay for a crisis that the bankers and businesses created and we won't except it. I was asked about the difficult decisions of which public sector cuts to make. I said that there was no difficult decisions to make. We need to invest more and improve public services and pay for it by nationalising the banks under democratic control and for the profits of which there is still millions to go into the public sector. I was also asked about my thoughts on the looming general election. I explained that the Labour Party had been in power since I was 11 years old and I was no longer willing to put up with thier crap, neither was a prepared to put up with the crap fro the tories who i spent my childhood under, nor the liberals who are implementing £21million of cuts in Cardiff currently, that we need a new workers' party that will genuinely represent the interests of ordinary people and not the bankers like we currently have. I finished by saying that saying that Youth Fight for Jobs is here to stay we are here to fight for our future all we ask for is what we rightfully deserve and we will accept nothing less!
Naturally Darlling showed his cowardice by skipping about the back entrance afraid to speak to the lost generation, we considered this to be a victory, a warning shot that we are here and that we will fight.
Unfortunately the BBC showed there true colour today despite filiming the protest and conducting the interview. When they reported on the news that darling had addressed business leaders in Cardiff, they refused to even acknowledge that the protest had taken place! Instead they decided to show an extensive news piece on the changing of a name of a dessert in a Flintshire canteen!
This is not the last that you or the BBC will hear about this!